For all writers

For all writers

Friday, March 19, 2010

My good or God's glory?

What an amazing week!

Praying for a dear friend undergoing surgery to remove a tumor, another dear friend's son's heart surgery and the list goes on.

I am ashamed to even admit the fact that every time I lift someone up in prayer (whether it's for deliverance, finances, health or healing) whatever the request might be, I am always awestruck not only by God's faithfulness to hear but His willingness to work in the situation - in spite of my bungling intrusions! Isn't that always the way? We believe we know just what that person needs and waste no time in making that known to our Father - The Creator of the Universe, the Blessed Controller of all things, the One that hung the stars in space and spoke things in to existence! The Bible tells us He knows even before we ask. I know what you're thinking...well, if He already knows, then why do we have to even ask? Your mom or dad knew you wanted to go shopping (my example) but didn't you have to ask to borrow the car?

I can't help but smile as I think of Him, leaned in and listening intently to me as I cry, ramble and stamp my foot in childish selfishness. After all, I know exactly what that person needs, right?

Then it hits me. How could I presume to know all the details, every 'in' and 'out' and complicated aspect of that person and their situation! I mean well, I do. I promised I'd pray and I am. And my Heavenly Father is still listening, smiling, maybe even nodding His head in agreement. But I have forgotten one very important aspect of interceding on behalf of others...His PERFECT WILL!

I have determined this very morning that I will try not to assume I know it all. I will try to pray according to HIS will, not my wishes. ( ) After all, isn't that what we truly want, God's will in our lives? Oooo! That's a hard one to admit sometimes because HIS will doesn't always match up with our idea of what should happen. Come with me sometime and meet the hurting people that attend our GriefShare meetings each week and you'll witness them discovering that very thing for themselves.

I'm convinced that, just as we are all unique, so is God's will for our lives. Designed especially with us in mind, the Father has a perfect plan for all of us and sets it in motion from the beginning. What's the problem? WE are the problem, my friends. You and I. It's our free will, that childish, foot-stamping, think-we-know-better free will of ours! We delay, disrupt and derail. Reminds me of a group of people called "God's Chosen" when they had to wander in the wilderness for forty years over a trek that should've only taken them 11 days! Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment