For all writers

For all writers

Friday, April 2, 2010

April Showers


I always wondered about the old saying, "April showers bring May flowers" when I was a little girl but, as I get older, I'm beginning to realize that there is probably more there than "meets the eye" (as another old saying goes.)
The "rain" in our lives is just like physical rain in a sense, if you consider it. It's messy, inconvenient, uncomfortable...the list goes on. But, just as the physical rain is also a good thing - makes things grow, gives us water to drink, cleans the atmosphere, etc., it is good for us in our lives. I know, I know. That's a hard precept to agree with and those of us that have had much "rain" in our lives can attest all too well to the adjectives I mentioned earlier.
But as Easter Sunday approaches, I've had some time to consider Jesus' life and ministry more in detail this week. Anyone that works for the Lord will tell you "ministry is messy" and, although Jesus was hailed as a prince upon His "triumphant entry" into Jerusalem, we know that His popularity was short-lived. The crowd turned on Him and the mob became an angry, swelling mass of people, shouting and clamoring for His crucifixtion. Have you experienced the mob mentality lately? Maybe you have been someone's "darling" for a short while, only to have them suddenly turn on you without warning or good cause. Hurts, doesn't it? Can you imagine the pain that Christ must have felt? I'm not talking about the pain of the scourging - although that caused almost lethal pain. I'm talking about the pain of a broken heart.
Whether you've had your heart broken because of cruel words, bad intentions or mis-understandings or your heart was ripped in two by a terrible loss of some kind, it is still painful. Remember that Christ knows pain and suffering. He knows all too well.
When asking an employee to sweep the showroom floor or clean and dust in the shop, my husband used to say, "I would never ask you to do something I haven't already done myself, many times." I thought about that as I was reflecting today on the cross at Calvary. Aren't you thankful that God didn't ask US to pay the penalty that was/is required for our sin?!? You bet! In fact, thankful is probably not even the right word. Maybe it is more like relieved or glad. Whatever the descriptor you would use, I pray that we all spend time tonight and tomorrow on our knees, even for a short time, thanking God for His unconditional mercy and grace and then on our feet, rejoicing and praising the resurrection of our Lord; King of Kings, the One that conquered death and the grave, our victorious Savior! Hallelujah! HE IS RISEN!
Blessed Easter, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment